Thursday, June 25, 2015

A Jumble of Umble

"Whenever you have taken up work in hand, you must see it to the finish.That is the ultimate secret of success. Never, never, never give up!"   Dada Vaswani

This week's Diva challenge was to use the official (from Rick and Maria) tangle, Umble. I have probably only used this tangle once in my four years of tangling. So I decided to take the challenge and play with it some more.

The first one I did was on a Zendala tile, meaning it's round. I made it simple...simply Umble, except for some added lines. I decided to add a little color using my pastel pencils (I was out of town and that was the only color medium I had with me). Since it's only a week until our Independence Day, July 4th, I went with red and blue. I'm very happy with the simple, yet bold, completed tile. Don't save your Zendala tiles only for Zendalas...they're a lot of fun to use for any kind of tangling.



Next I started another tile but didn't really like it, so I put it aside and began over. Dividing this tile into four squares, I tangled Umble in two opposite squares (I don't know if you can picture that when you look at this tile now). Then I started connecting the lines, got a little carried away, and ended up with this.


It's interesting, but I don't like it nearly as much as the first one. Next, thinking that you never should give up on a tile (since it's more about the process than the outcome), I went back to the one I had put aside. I completed it, and lo and behold, I like it! This has happened to me many times, so the lesson to be learned here is...don't give up! See your tiles through to the end. You may very well decide that you like it after all, or at the very least, you will have spent some time relaxing and taking your mind off other things.






6 comments:

  1. Like them all. Agree with your comment about not giving up. Tell the students in my classes that all the time. Has happened to me more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish there was an edit button. Wanted to say that I have experienced the same thing many times.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work and thanks for sharing your process

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful tiles, i like the colors, nice work

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, I love all three. Maybe (just maybe) the last one is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete