Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Tangled Tessellations

A tessellation is created when a shape is repeated over and over again covering a plane without any gaps or overlaps.

I have a book called Mosaic and Tessellated Patterns, from Dover publications. This design struck me as a perfect one to tangle, with large enough spaces to work in. Some of the other designs are intricate on their own and wouldn't be suitable for tangling.



First I transferred the pattern onto a piece of white Stonehenge paper so I would have pencil outlines instead of printed lines. I chose the patterns Maryhill (love that tangle by Betsy Wilson) and 'Nzeppel.



Then I shaded it, which took as long as the tangling did, even though it may not look like it! I love the way a pencil blends so nicely on that paper.


I'm really happy with the way this turned out. I'll have to look at my book again to find another page to do. The designs make great strings for tangling.


3 comments:

  1. Very pretty, Caren! I like that you left some spots open too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I've always been a tessellation's fan. Maybe you started a new trend. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO cool! I can't decide whether the solid black reminds me of pinwheels or little flowers! Putting a point in the middle of each pentagon made for really nice symmetry with 'Nzeppel. And nicely rounded shading. I like to spend lots of time on shading too and can get lost in that as easily as drawing lines. Will be nice to see another of your tesselations!

    ReplyDelete