Thursday, July 11, 2013
Roses are Red...and Owls are Brown
The Diva's challenge this week was to incorporate a stencil as the string of your Zentangle. As soon as I saw that I knew right away what stencil I would use. I recently bought a stencil of a rose at A.C Moore, which was waiting patiently for me in my stencil binder.
First I debated which method I would use to color the rose - Ranger ink pads, alcohol markers, or watercolor markers - since this would impact what type of paper I would use. Deciding on alcohol markers, I traced the outline of the rose, and then added the leaves freehand since there were none included with the stencil. I then used Prismacolor markers for the flower because I liked the combination of reds I had, and Copics for the leaves. A sketchbook made by Copic which has a special kind of marker paper meant for alcohol markers was the obvious choice for paper, as it allows the markers to blend nicely. Unfortunately I found that the Prismacolor markers caused a drop of bleeding at the edges which I had not expected, while the Copic markers did not. Luckily the bleeding is not too visible unless you are inspecting it carefully. I meant to take a picture of the rose before I began tangling, but I forgot until after I had tangled the first section, so here it is.
I continued tangling each section of the rose and leaves with different tangles. It wasn't easy figuring out what to do with the very small pieces! After it was complete, I went back in with the markers and added just a little more shading to what was already there from the original blending of the markers. The final result....
I love the way it turned out! I've worked with stencils before (see this recent blog post), and always find it a fun method for something a little different. Here is a picture of a stenciled owl I did a while ago. The owl was a stencil and I added the branch. For this one I used Derwent Inktense pencils.
Check back here again to see more tangled stencils soon....I have one just itching to be tangled.