"All art requires courage." Anne Tucker
I pulled out my Dylusions ink sprays since that's what the journal was really made for, and The Crafters Workshop stencil called Spirographica. Feeling a little unsure of where this was headed, I forged on. Using a couple of tiny pieces of tape to hold the stencil in place, I chose a few delicious Dylusions colors, and spritzed away.
Challenge #1 - When I pulled up the stencil, I saw that a little of the spray had seeped underneath since the stencil lines are so thin. So of course my first reaction was, "Oh no, now I'll have to rip the page out!" What I tried, and was relieved when it worked, was to go over the stencil lines with my white pen which covered up where the spray had gone underneath. White lines filled in, I was ready to begin tangling.
Challenge #2 - Some of the color seemed a little dark and I was afraid the micron pen lines wouldn't show up real well. I got around that obstacle by using patterns that had a little more black in them for the darker sections. My pen glided smoothly over the inked page.
Challenge #3 - The journal is 9" x 12" (so 18" x 12" when open) and one inch thick, which made it interesting trying to turn it as I worked, like I would turn my Zentangle tile. It was a little awkward positioning my hands and arms, but I managed. I'm posting a couple of pictures here showing closeup views so you can see some of the detail.
Overall, I'm happy with the finished piece, although a couple of small sections not so much. I will not need to rip out the page - yay! And now that I've broken in the journal, next time maybe I won't be so scared to use it.