Thursday, December 3, 2015

Paradox

"The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change."    Carl Rogers


A couple of weeks ago, the Square One Facebook group had the tangle pattern Paradox as the focus for the week. I don't always have the time (or the desire, depending what the focus tangle is) to create and post anything, but Paradox is one of my favorite patterns so I knew I'd be participating that week. I'll save the two tiles I did for that group until later. But first I wanted to show you a couple of pieces I created that didn't follow the guidelines for the group (3 1/2 inch square tiles in black and white.)

For this one I chose one of my hand-colored zendala tiles, even though I wouldn't really call this a zendala. Sometimes I just love working on the round tiles. I drew some lines to form a string, and where you see black I had expected to leave blank so it would be pink. But sometimes I can't leave well enough alone, and in one spot I brought the Paradox out into the pink space....and was not at all happy with it. I tried a couple of things to make it better, but in the end all I could think to do was fill in all those spaces with black. Well... a happy accident... I really like the way this looks! Just Paradox and black (filled in with the fat end of an Identi Pen.)



The next one was drawn on a pre-strung Rennaisance zendala tile. I'm really happy with this one also. I always love bringing the tan tiles to life with white highlights. A brown pastel pencil and a graphite pencil were used for shading.


Patterns used: Paradox, Static, Munchin, and Maryhill


The following two tiles were the ones I posted on the Square One Facebook page, so if you're a member of that group you may have already seen these.



Patterns used: Paradox, Petales de Fleurs inspired Munchin



Patterns used: Paradox and Tipple


I just want to leave you with this last piece of pure Paradox, laid out totally randomly, and then colored digitally with some green.
I love, love, love Paradox!

2 comments:

  1. Caren, I love Paradox - however it drives me mad trying to work out the underlying grid structure - I seem to have a blind spot and just cannot work it out! Guess that leaves me with a surprise every time I do a Paradox tangle!

    ReplyDelete