Thursday, May 21, 2015

Fade to Black

"In the beginning it was all black and white."  Maureen O'Hara

The Diva's challenge this week is to work in white on black. It's been a while since I actually participated in her challenge, and also a while since I've worked on black. So I decided to accept this challenge. 

I am not a fan of how the white pen (Uniball Signo - the only one I use) performs on the black Zentangle tiles, because I think the tile sucks up too much of the ink. My preference is to use black paper instead, when working with white pen. Either Strathmore Artagain paper, or my Big White Bee sketchbook, which is what I used this time. 

I decided to keep it fairly simple, using just Mooka and Mak-rah-mee. The shading was done using my white pastel pencil which felt like butter on this paper.


Although the challenge was white on black, and said nothing about color, I couldn't resist adding just a tiny drop of color - with Moonlight Gelly Roll pens. The color is a little brighter in person than in this picture, but I really like the pop that it adds.


Now back to the larger project I'm working on for next time. Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful ZIA! I like both versions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, soft, and delicate! It's amazing how just that little touch of color makes the white glow more and the whole piece just pops with it....lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Sue said exactly what I was thinking! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really love your tangle choices for this white on black creation and the second updated piece with the florescent pens adding a small pop of color is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the colored dots make it very special! I love it! It is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are both so eye-catching. I have never tangled on black and I struggle with my Prisma pen, so I really appreciate the effort here. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete