Friday, December 12, 2014

Arukas

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser."   John W. Gardner

The Diva is back to her blogging this week, and the new challenge is to use the tangle Arukas. About a month ago, when this tangle was newly released, I tried it out on a couple of tiles. The first one I did back then was on a Zendala tile. I loved the way this turned out, enough so that I included it when I recently changed the headers on  this blog and my website, tanglemania.com. I really like tangling on the round tiles even if they are not your typical Zendalas.


Since I enjoyed this pattern so much, I was happy to see this week's challenge. I picked one of my hand-colored tiles to use and completed it in a similar fashion to the round one, but blackened and shaded different areas, as well as adding 'Nzeppel in the background. Not bad, but I don't like it as much as my first tile. 


Then something interesting happened. I was looking through a pile of completed tiles I had sitting on my shelf. Lo and behold, I found another Arukas tile I did last month and had completely forgotten about.


Well, would you look at that! I used 'Nzeppel in that background also! I guess I have a one track mind. They are a little different... the turquoise one has 'Nzeppel in a grid, and the pink one has it laid out randomly. And of course the rest of the pattern was done very differently, with curving arms. This is not my favorite tile.... probably why I had forgotten about it!

I did like the idea of curvy arms, however, so I decided to do another tile, trying to make it very different. I think I achieved my objective.


It's on an apprentice tile, which is a little bigger and a little whiter than the regular Zentangle tiles. I had decided to make the arms wavy, but of course was not thinking as I began, and drew the first lines straight. There are no mistakes in Zentangle, so I just continued. It was a happy 'mistake', as I love the way it looks with one straight side and the others wavy! This is definitely a pattern that has been added to my list of favorites.


8 comments:

  1. very nice tiles - hard to pick a favourite as they are all great - but I think maybe the pink one - lovely work

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly produced an inspired group of arukas. I kept thinking each one was my favorite, until I saw the next one. So, much like a mother and her children, I have decided to declaim that they are all my favorite! Nice,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all of them, but the 4th is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much beautiful stuff here! I especially like the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great set of tiles! I can't pick a favorite, as I like them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job with these.Really like the coloured ones to add an extra "something".

    ReplyDelete