Thursday, August 15, 2013

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

"I collect watches because I'm always late, and I need to know exactly how late I'm going to be - in order to come up with a good excuse."  Colin Hanks

My good friend Cindi, who is also one of my former Zentangle students, is always thinking of other people. So not too long ago when she was at a car wash she saw a watch and thought of me. Now don't ask me why the car wash is selling watches. I can't figure it out. I can understand selling products that have something to do with cars, but a watch? But when you look at the following pictures of the packaging from that watch you will probably understand why she thought of me.






This is a paper watch that is meant to be decorated. As a matter of fact, doesn't it look tangled to you? After hearing about it, I knew I had to go see for myself. But I kept forgetting to stop by the car wash, so several weeks passed before I finally made my way there. The watch is actually made from Tyvek, the stuff they use when building houses. So this is no ordinary paper - it's tough and hard to rip. Needless to say, I bought one. For $12, I thought it was definitely worth a try. Here is a picture of the watch straight out of the package.



Of course I was nervous to begin tangling because if I messed up there would be no turning back. First I tested some pens on the back of the watch face where nobody would ever see the marks. I started with a Micron, and although it worked and didn't smudge, I felt like the lines weren't as crisp as they should be, as if it bled just a tiny drop. So I tried a Faber Castell Pitt pen which I thought worked slightly better. However, there really may not have been any difference. Here's what I ended up with.



I'm happier with the band than with the face of the watch. I just don't think I made the best choice in the patterns for the face. No shading on this. I don't think that would work too well. Now the big question is... will it hold up to normal daily wear and tear? If the watch makes it through several wearings and still looks good, I may try another one with some color. In case any of you are interested in designing your own, you can read more about the watch here. And check around online because I think you can find it for less than the $12 I spent. If everyone reading this blog tangles a watch we could start a whole new fashion trend. 

.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful job! Thanks for sharing…let us know how well it holds up!
    I wonder if you can get some Tyvek at a hardware store and make your own additional bands, using this one as a template. Does the watch part slide on & off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The watch face does not come off the band any way that I can tell.

      Delete