Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Basket Weave

"Our lives are like quilts - bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love."   Unknown

Once a month I get together with some friends who I taught to tangle. Each time I try to think of some theme/small project to work on if they choose to, or they can do their own thing. Last time I decided on a quilt theme and made copies of some quilt squares from a book I have called 100 Paper Pieced Quilt Blocks. Below is the square I decided to work on - I darkened it on the computer so it would be more visible - the lines were fairly light, just as when you draw your string with pencil. I liked the over/under look of this one, called Basket Weave.



I chose the tangles Gewurtz (looks like a pinwheel), and Chard with blackened stripes. Then I added Nymph, which looks like flowers. 
I decided to only shade the centers of the "flowers", leaving the rest a bold, striking statement.

Then I (and by "I" I mean my husband) took that square on the computer, copied it, rotated it, and combined four of them into a quilt. This is what I envisioned doing with my square before I even began the tangling. So glad it worked out the way I pictured it in my mind. There are a few funky spots where the design on the edges doesn't quite match the adjoining side in the same way, but I'm okay with that.



Then, since most quilts are quite colorful, I decided to see what would happen to mine if I added color. I wasn't quite sure what I would do, but chose to use my Tombow markers, and ended up only adding color to the "flowers." I'm very happy with the way it looks, first on my single square.......


And then on my big quilt........


I am definitely going to try this again using one of the other patterns from the book. It's much quicker than the traditional way of making quilts! Maybe I'll be back one day soon with the results of that.



3 comments:

  1. Agree wih Margaret, this is fascinating and I have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color you added to the striking pattern is breathtaking. Sarah.

    ReplyDelete